Warning Signs: Typical Age-Related Behavior or Alzheimer’s Symptoms?
- By: heavenAdmin
Sometimes people won’t admit they need help to stay at home, and others may be unaware they need extra help in order to maintain a healthy and safe home environment. Knowing and watching for signs that could indicate extra assistance is needed may well fall on others: family, friends or advisers.
Back in February, we discussed five telltale signs that help at home may be needed. These are signs family members can be on the lookout for in their loved ones’ everyday lives. But many people often wonder whether something is a typical sign of aging or a symptom of something more serious, like Alzheimer’s disease. The following are tips to help determine whether a behavior is a normal sign of aging or a warning sign of Alzheimer’s:
Typical Age-Related Changes:
- Making a bad decision once in a while
- Missing a monthly payment
- Forgetting which day it is and remembering later
- Occasionally forgetting which word to use
- Losing things from time to time
Warning Signs of Alzheimer’s:
- Poor judgment and decision-making
- Inability to manage a budget
- Losing track of the date or the season
- Difficulty having a conversation
- Misplacing things and being unable to retrace steps to find them
Understanding what is a typical sign of aging and what is a warning sign that care is needed can be difficult. At Heaven at Home, we understand the needs of those aging in place and can help your family determine when and what type of care is right for your loved one. Contact us today to learn more about how our services can help.