Home is where we can truly relax and be ourselves, and it’s for that reason so many seniors make the decision to continue to live at home throughout aging. But many times wheelchairs end up being a part of life when individuals or those with specific disabilities lose mobility. This can be a unique challenge when it comes to ensuring the home is a safe place. However, a few home modifications for aging adults and disabled persons can considerably improve safety.
Below are just a few home modifications for wheelchair safety that are recommended:
- Make certain that driveways and walkways are smooth, but not slippery.
- Install a ramp to the front door that has landings at the bottom and the top.
- Doorways need to be 32-36 inches wide with adequate floor space near the doors to move a wheelchair.
- Thresholds on doors should always be ¼ inch or less.
- Cabinet shelves should be a maximum of 10 inches deep.
- Controls on the kitchen stove should be placed at the front.
- Ensure that there is knee space under all sinks.
- Oven doors should ideally be able to swing open to the side.
- For deeper shelves, utilize a Lazy Susan to allow the person to easily reach all items.
- Bathrooms should have either a wheelchair accessible tub with a 60-inch turning radius or T-turn space, or a curbless, stand-up shower and at least 36 inches wide.
- There should be sufficient room to transfer from wheelchair to toilet.
- Walk-in closets are great for wheelchair-bound people, but a closet organizer that offers the person the ability to reach all items is also good.
- Also, floors should be clear of clutter and furniture should be arranged for maximum maneuverability.
Heaven at Home Senior Care, providers of senior care in University Park and surrounding areas, can also provide home modification ideas and coordination. The first step is our complimentary in-home assessment, where we will create a personalized care plan to address the person’s unique care needs and wishes, and then we monitor that plan ongoing and adjust as needs change.
Our University Park personal care services are available for just a few hours each week, up through 24/7, around-the-clock care. Call us any time at 940-380-0500 in Denton or 972-245-1515 in Dallas to learn more!