There is now a top priority for hospitals: reducing readmissions for high-risk patients. Healthcare Financial Management Association’s article “Two Ways Hospitals Can Reduce Avoidable Readmissions” explains that successful initiatives from a sampling of hospitals with minimal 30-day rehospitalizations are, to a certain extent, the effect of participating with inpatient and outpatient care providers, like Heaven at Home Senior Care, who can offer a continuum of care and make senior transitions safer.
The hospitals cited in the article provided the tips below to help lower rehospitalizations:
- Start getting ready for a patient’s discharge from a hospital visit on the day he or she is admitted. When a senior is admitted to the hospital, contact a home care agency, like Heaven at Home Senior Care, to schedule in-home care upon discharge. Patient outcomes are better when home care services are available as early as possible after discharge.
- Identify patients who might be at an elevated risk for concerns after discharge for extra care coordination and/or case management services. (Make sure social workers see all patients age 80 and older to help with care needs.)
- Use technology to evaluate, track, or refer patients.
- Complete a thorough evaluation of the patient’s risk factors, available resources, care needs, understanding and management of the disease or condition, and level of family support.
At Heaven at Home Senior Care, the top-rated provider of in-home caregivers in Denton, TX and surrounding areas, we understand how vital it is to create a care plan for a senior’s transition to lower the risk of hospital readmissions. We help seniors plan for care needs starting on day one of their hospital stay, monitoring their health and making certain that care plans are implemented as soon as they return home. Contact us at 940-380-0500 or complete our online contact form to discover more about how we can help those you love transition from hospital to home through professional home care services such as:
- Providing training and help with chronic disease management
- Medication reminders so prescriptions are taken exactly as prescribed
- Assisting with coordination and balance
- And much more
Avoid an unnecessary follow-up hospital visit. Partner with Heaven at Home Senior Care for assistance.