The earliest signs can be so subtle that many people wouldn’t even recognize that anything is amiss. Mom is extroverted, friendly, and conversational when visiting your family and while running errands. However those closest to her have begun to pick up on concerns: forgetting about the soup cooking on the stove, leading to a scorched pot. Placing her keys into the cookie jar. Neglecting to pay bills.
As an adult child of a loved one in the early stages of compromised safety or the capacity to make sensible decisions, it is normally very difficult to transition to a greater degree of involvement and assistance – nevertheless, it is also very important to take the appropriate steps as soon as possible.
Similar to bringing up any confrontational topic of conversation, talking with your parent about the concerns you are seeing may be met with opposition and defensiveness in the beginning. However, it is useful to detail the particular causes of your concern, together with negative consequences if these signs and symptoms carry on or become worse.
Heaven at Home Senior Care recommends this approach:
- Make sure that a durable power of attorney has been designated.
- Confirm with your sisters and brothers that the problem needs to be dealt with, and discuss together what choices are available for the senior’s care as needs continue to progress.
- Remain loving but strong in your strategy. Explain the choices you have thought through. If she balks at the idea of moving to an assisted living facility, which many older adults do, offer an in-home caregiver as an alternative, allowing her to stay independent and safe within the comfort of home.
- Be aware that it will probably take several conversations until the older adult accepts the necessity for help and support – which is the reason why it’s necessary to begin the process at the earliest opportunity.
At Heaven at Home Senior Care, we’re experienced in aiding older adults to feel comfortable and positive about how our services can help increase safety and overall quality of life and wellbeing. Once your family decides the time is right, we can assist with highly specialized home care that can meet a variety of needs, such as:
- Meal planning and preparation
- Housework and laundry
- Running errands
- Highly specialized care for dementia
- And so much more
Whether the need is for just a few hours every week to enhance safety and socialization, full-time care, or anything in between, partnering with Heaven at Home Senior Care increases quality of life for seniors and offers peace of mind for the individuals who love them. Call us at (866) 381-0500 or contact us online for an in-home assessment to learn more about how our top-rated home care in Dallas can help!