If you’re feeling somewhat discouraged in your role as caregiver, take heart; you are in good company. Providing home care for aging parents is one of the most complex roles we can fill: highly worthwhile on the one hand, while simultaneously frustrating and ever-evolving, regularly leading to feelings of uncertainty about whether we’re up to the challenge of providing the most effective care.
It is no surprise that so many family caregivers grapple with some or all of these kinds of feelings:
- Guilt: Perhaps you may feel as if you’re not doing as much as you should in order to help your loved one, that you’re self-centered for seeking time away to yourself, or that you are unable to provide the assistance your loved one needs.
- Helplessness: There are some circumstances when you may feel unequipped to solve the issues your parent is encountering.
- Anger or frustration: This can be directed at yourself, other loved ones who seem as though they are not doing their fair share, and sometimes even at your parent for causing you to be in this situation.
- Resentment: Extremely typical when caring for a person who has hurt or betrayed you in the past, it is common for those feelings to resurface when that individual is now in your care.
- Hopelessness: When a senior faces a difficult diagnosis such as a chronic or terminal condition, feelings of despair can settle in, which could result in despondency or depression.
Acknowledging these feelings, and accepting that they’re completely normal, is an effective place to start. The following tips provided by our home health aides in Denton, TX can also help:
- Share your emotions. Find a reliable friend, family member, or professional therapist to vent to, an individual who can offer an alternate perspective and help you to adjust your thinking to a much more positive slant.
- Give some thought to the advice you’d offer a good friend. Sometimes, stepping out of your circumstances and picturing how you would respond to a friend going through these feelings can offer valuable insight. Offer the same encouragement to yourself as you would offer to a friend.
- Find a care partner. Working with a knowledgeable care provider, such as Heaven at Home Senior Care, enables you to achieve a healthy life balance – something that is vital to every successful caregiver.
Customized solutions for home care are within reach through a home health aide in Denton, TX. Make contact with our highly trained, experienced, and compassionate care team by calling 866-381-0500 and let us walk alongside you with the high quality, customized care services your loved one deserves – enabling you to take time for much-needed self-care with respite care. We are readily available to answer any questions you have, to provide helpful resources specific to the difficulties you’re facing, and to provide a complimentary in-home consultation to share more about how we can help.