Is Your Community Ideal for Older Adults?
- By: heavenAdmin
- Benefits of Home Care
Life unfortunately can get harder as we age—it’s harder to navigate your way through town, to get to the grocery store if it’s a distance away, and to stay social. Fortunately, some forward-thinking communities around the country are making innovative, senior-friendly ideas a part of the community plan. We hope the trend catches on, and others take note and follow suit.
In the National Association of Area Agencies on Aging’s recent report, “Making Your Community Livable for All Ages: What’s Working?” six ideal community qualities are outlined:
- Allowing for residents to thrive for a lifetime
- Providing social supports for aging
- Offering affordable housing choices
- Accommodating public areas with ramps, level surfaces, and public transportation
- Including a grocery store and pharmacy within close proximity
- Fostering socialization
The report highlighted several communities that shine as areas that make the grade in senior-friendliness:
- Miami Gardens, FL with its senior home maintenance program and business initiatives for seniors
- Monroe County, NY which is addressing transportation issues with a ride-share program and improved services for seniors
- Santa Fe, NM for the toolkit created to bridge the diverse cultural gaps in its communities
- Wichita, KS in its efforts to enhance walking and bicycling safety
Read about the other communities touted in the report and the ways they’re making life easier for older adults here. Also check out AARP’s Livability Index, which scores neighborhoods and communities across the U.S. for the services and amenities that impact your life the most.
If the senior in your life is seeking help with local errands, getting to doctors’ appointments, grocery shopping, companionship or personal care, Heaven at Home is available in the Denton and Dallas, Texas communities. We are ready to make your loved one’s life more enriching and fulfilling. Contact Heaven at Home to tell us about your care needs.