Is It Alzheimer’s or Just Forgetfulness?
- By: heavenAdmin
- Alzheimer's Disease
Where did I put my keys? Did I leave the iron on at home? As we age, mild memory loss is common, but with the rise in Alzheimer’s disease in the U.S., many people are becoming fearful that their forgetfulness is something more.
Knowing more about the disease and its warning signs can help family members and caregivers know when they are dealing with normal memory loss and when it might be something more serious. Alzheimer’s disease typically begins after 60, and the risk increases with age. According to the Alzheimer’s Association, there are ten warning signs for Alzheimer’s:
- Memory loss that disrupts daily life – forgetting recently learned information or important dates
- Trouble in planning or solving problems – difficulty following familiar instructions, recipes, how to pay monthly bills, etc.
- Difficulty completing familiar tasks – trouble driving to or navigating to familiar places
- Time and place confusion – losing track of days or seasons
- Trouble understanding visual images or spatial relationships – difficulty judging distance or determining colors
- New problems with speaking or writing – repetitive speech, trouble following conversations
- Misplacing things, inability to retrace steps – putting things in unusual places, may accuse others of stealing
- Decreased or poor judgment – problems dealing with money, paying less attention to grooming
- Withdrawal from work or social activities – shying away from social functions or tasks
- Changes in mood or personality – easily upset, confused, suspicious, fearful, etc.
If you notice these warning signs in your loved one, visit his or her physician to determine the root of the problem. The team at Heaven at Home understands that Alzheimer’s is a difficult disease to understand and manage. As caring professionals, we take pride in the work we do to assist and educate Alzheimer’s patients and their families. For more information about Alzheimer’s disease or to learn more about our care services, contact us today!