Aging in place is the popular choice for older adults today, and it’s a great way to help older loved ones remain healthy, safe, and independent at home as they age. But is it the best choice for your family? When researching the best care options for your loved one you must consider the level of care needed now as well as the prognosis for future care needs. For example:
- Is the senior able to call for assistance in an emergency situation or is total supervision and assistance needed?
- Can the frail senior get up and down out of a chair or bed? Needing assistance in toileting means that care is needed constantly and will be charged hourly, 24/7. However, if the person is able to get out of a chair or bed, then the care needed is sporadic and home care should be considered first.
- Is the senior able to perform daily activities such as bathing, dressing, grooming and eating without assistance or with minimal assistance, or is total assistance in all areas needed?
- Is the senior able to socialize and enjoy recreation or does the senior need an escort and encouragement to attend any activities?
- What is the mental status of the senior? It is far easier to care for an alert and mentally sharp but physically frail senior at home than it is to care for a cognitively impaired but physically active senior.
Making the decision to sell a loved one’s home and move him or her into a facility is an unalterable decision, and may not be necessary with the dedicated care and service that home care agencies like Heaven at Home can provide. Care should be taken to perform a complete assessment of medical conditions and prognosis, formal and informal support systems available for assistance, financial ability for care, mental status and family customs prior to making any formal recommendation for long-term care that involves a move away from home.
Are you considering in-home care for a loved one or are you interested in learning more about Dallas home care options for your family member? Contact Heaven at Home of Denton, TX today. We’re ready to assist you.