Family caregivers providing COPD care for a senior loved one know that outdoor air pollution can exacerbate symptoms. Yet, did you know that dry or compromised air quality inside the house can also magnify COPD symptoms? Family caregivers often wonder, is a humidifier good for COPD? Are there certain cleaning products I should avoid? Learn how to breathe easier with these tips:
Heaven at Home Senior Care’s experts in home and dementia care in Denton and surrounding areas suggest these additional COPD care strategies:
- A Humidifier is Good for COPD. Dry air can make COPD symptoms even worse, as can air that is too moist. Aim for a level of around 40% humidity in the home for a senior with COPD.
- Prohibit Indoor Smoking. Don’t ever smoke or allow others to smoke in the home of a person with COPD. If the home contains a fireplace or wood stove, realize that it may also be a source of aggravation for the individual with COPD.
- Avoid Chemical Exposure. Chemicals in the household, like cleaning products and paint, can stimulate COPD symptoms, so minimize the use of them, and make sure to keep lids on cleaning products when not in use. It’s also a good idea to explore safer cleaning options, including vinegar and baking soda.
- Minimize Dust. Wash bed linens every week, clear away clutter, and ensure that pets stay off furniture to reduce the amount of dust and dander.
- Purify the Air in the Home. Use an air filtration product with a HEPA filter. Though air pollution is not as much a concern in rural areas as it is in the city, someone with COPD can still benefit from filtered air to eliminate irritants and toxins.
- Maintain Clean Floors. Ensuring that floors are swept and clean minimizes buildup of allergens. Keep in mind that hardwood floors are easier to keep in an allergen-free state than rugs and carpeting.
COPD patients can breathe easier with the help of Heaven at Home Senior Care. We can provide:
- Helpful educational information about COPD care and management
- Exercise tips to improve symptoms
- Nutrition and dietary tips
- Skills to better manage symptoms
- And a full variety of home care services
Our fully trained and experienced home care team will first provide an in-home consultation to create a plan of care to address your loved one’s needs. Heaven at Home Senior Care is here to help with customized home and dementia care in Denton and the surrounding areas. Contact us at your convenience at (940) 380-0500 to discover more about the many ways our professional home care can help.