As a degenerating neurological disease, ALS (sometimes called Lou Gehrig’s disease) can cause a broad range of physical challenges that can bring about clinical depression. For family members providing care for someone with ALS, it’s hard not to become overwhelmed and uncertain about how to help the person live life to the fullest and stay positive.
When providing ALS care in the home, it is essential for family caregivers to recognize the challenges that the condition produces in order to provide the absolute best care.
How Can a Family Member Provide the Best Care for a Loved One With ALS?
Heaven at Home Senior Care, providing exceptional home care in Gainesville, Arlington, Dallas, and the surrounding areas, has put together the following advice to help ensure the best care for individuals diagnosed with ALS:
- Use adaptive devices. The utilization of adaptive products such as wheelchairs is a move in the direction of self-sufficiency, not away from it. Adaptive tools are available for assorted everyday tasks, like eating, opening jars and doors, buttoning or zipping up clothing, writing, and taking a shower.
- Those with muscle diseases such as ALS are proficient thinkers, even if they are typically unable to communicate clearly. Talk through choices openly while making joint decisions about the individual’s ALS care.
- Set up a computer and internet access. Computers, along with other assistive tools, provide entertainment and social interaction and make it possible for the person with muscle disease to help with tasks like paying bills, tracking down information, hiring services, and shopping.
- Patience is vital. Even though it may often seem faster and more efficient to take over certain tasks, show patience and allow your loved one to accomplish the tasks that they can.
- Ask if the person wants help before assisting. Do not take over tasks that still can be performed if the person is provided with adaptive tools and time.
For people with Lou Gehrig’s disease, self-reliance and excellent ALS care are imperative. The home care experts at Heaven at Home Senior Care are fully trained and experienced in providing the care and assistance needed to ensure those with ALS live their best lives. Some of the many ways we can help include:
- Companionship for enjoyable, meaningful activities
- Help with housework, laundry, meals, and shopping
- Transportation anywhere the person would like to go
- Medication pick-up and reminders
- And much more
Contact us any time at 940-380-0500 in Denton or 972-245-1515 in Dallas for additional information about our customized in-home care solutions. Let us help you provide the very best care for someone with ALS in your life.