The vast majority of seniors choose to remain at home throughout aging, instead of relocating to an assisted living facility or nursing home – around 90% of them, based upon research done by AARP. And who can blame them? The comfort of familiar surroundings, the freedom to come and go as you want, the opportunity to prepare the meals you want when you would like them are all invaluable commodities.
Although it seems like the perfect plan for aging, could home help for seniors be beneficial? Consider the following:
- Will the senior be safe?
- How will the older person get around when driving, or even walking, becomes difficult?
- What happens if the older adult becomes sick or injured and no one is close by to help?
Fortunately, it’s now easier than ever for older individuals to stay safe and well at home with a little professional home help for seniors. These tips can help you in taking the necessary steps to ensure your loved one is prepared for these needs and any others, now and in the years to come:
- Evaluate the home, both indoors and out, from the viewpoint of the older person’s safety. Check to make sure:
- Grab bars are in place near the tub and toilet.
- Throw rugs and other fall hazards are removed.
- There is sufficient lighting, including in hallways and stairways.
- Commonly used items are located within easy reach.
- Emergency contact information is posted in a highly visible location.
- Put together a transportation plan, so it is ready to put into action when driving is no longer an option:
- Explore public transportation options that are available and easy to access.
- Put together a volunteer tree of trusted people the senior can turn to for transportation when needed: friends, relatives, neighbors, religious organizations, local senior centers, Heaven at Home Senior Care, etc.
- Make sure the older adult is able to access the tech tools that can be used in an emergency to obtain help when alone, such as a PERS (personal emergency response system).
The most effective way to ensure older adults remain safe and well cared for at home, however, is by engaging the services of a trusted home care agency, such as Heaven at Home Senior Care. Whether you need care for just a few hours or 24 hour care in Denton, TX and surrounding areas, our caregivers are fully trained and have experience in providing personal care services, transportation, meal planning and preparation, and companionship, and are here for you for as much or as little care as required.
We start with the development of an individualized care plan to address the older adult’s specific needs and wishes, and then we continuously monitor that plan and make adjustments as needs change – making certain that the senior stays safe and can live life to the fullest, where it’s most comfortable: at home. Providing hourly and 24 hour care Denton, TX and surrounding area families need, we invite you to call us at 940-380-0500 in Denton or 972-245-1515 in Dallas to learn more!