Most of us understand that socialization with others improves health and wellbeing. It keeps us connected to other people’s experiences, beliefs, challenges, humor, opinions, and other human occurrences. However, now scientific studies are verifying that socializing in older age and avoiding senior isolation enhances the wellness of both brain and body.
The outcomes point clearly to the impact of friendship and social engagement for older individuals. A study performed by Rush University Medical Center demonstrated that someone who noted a high level of senior socialization was nearly twice as likely to avoid a disability with activities of daily living than someone with a minimal amount of social activity, and about 1.5 times as likely to prevent disability with instrumental activities of daily living or mobility. Very social older persons had a 70% decrease in their rate of cognitive decline compared to unsocial seniors.
However, being social is not intuitive to everyone, and for many, it ends up being harder with age because one’s capability to get around can be greatly reduced. Here are several ways a home care agency like Heaven at Home Senior Care can help older adults stay social and protect their health and wellbeing through services like our 24 hour care in Denton, TX:
- Encourage attendance at and serve as a personal escort to fun outings including club meetings, community happenings like fairs, holiday activities and parades, plays, concerts, and sports events, religious services and activities.
- Share in playing interactive games with the senior such as board games, cards and Nintendo Wii.
- Plan and schedule visits with neighbors and friends.
- Provide transportation to a senior day facility or a senior exercise class.
- Provide companionship during family get-togethers or vacations for maximum comfort and safety.
- Introduce seniors to social platforms such as Facebook and Skype to allow them to connect with family and friends even when they are homebound.
In the Social Activity and Wellbeing of Older Australians Study, testing more than 6,000 older adults over about 5-1/2 years, older adults who have ongoing, regular social activity experienced a slower decrease in intellectual and memory abilities. The highest level of enhanced mental capacity was observed in older adults who were the most socially engaged.
Having a trusted home care agency provide in-home care to motivate and aid with senior socialization may just be one of the most impactful ways to help an older adult continue to thrive and feel alive. Heaven at Home Senior Care’s caregivers in Denton and other nearby areas are all fully committed to supporting the independence, dignity, and social connectedness of every older person we serve. To learn more about all of our home care services, including companion care in Denton and nearby areas, contact us at 940-380-0500.