The busyness of the holiday season can be overwhelming and exhausting for many seniors, and with everyone rushing around to take care of errands, shopping, and going to parties, older adults can sometimes feel left out of the merriment. With a little pre-planning, however, adjustments can be made to favorite old traditions (or new traditions started) so that everyone can enjoy the season together.
In our last blog post, we shared information on how to include older adults in the holiday fun by creating a memory book. We’ve got some additional holiday activities for seniors to enjoy with their families to help get into the holiday spirit.
- Turn on the holiday tunes. Create a festive playlist, or gather around the piano for a holiday sing-along.
- Go out to watch a holiday play. During this time of year, local high schools, colleges, and community theaters abound with holiday plays and musical events. Take the family out for an enjoyable, low-key evening, and then head back home for steaming mugs of cocoa.
- Help with decorating the senior’s home. Decorations are a great way to get everyone in the holiday spirit. Offer to assist a senior with setting up and decorating a tree, hanging up wreaths, or stringing lights. Also, make yourself available after the holidays are over to help take down and store all of the decorations.
- Create a holiday photo album. Sorting through old pictures from past holidays and recalling all the memories is fun for all ages and is a wonderful, easy way to include a senior in the festivities.
- Curl up to watch a holiday movie. Everyone can enjoy a classic holiday film, such as It’s a Wonderful Life or Miracle on 34th Street. Pop some popcorn, and settle in together on the sofa for some easy, festive, quality time.
When making plans for holiday activities for seniors, be sure to keep expectations realistic and maintain a relaxed, casual pace. You’ll be surprised how slowing down a little can help you better enjoy the magic of the season.
For more tips on how to help older adults enjoy the holidays, or to learn more about our home care, respite care services, or dementia care in Denton and the surrounding areas, contact the home care experts at Heaven at Home Senior Care at (940) 380-0500.