Elderly Care Tips: Reestablishing the Concept of “Play” in Older Adults
- By: Scott Vanderhoef
- Benefits of Home Care
Do you recall that feeling as a young child once the school bell rang, indicating the conclusion of science and the beginning of the best part of the day: recess? There was an enormous sense of freedom dashing out onto the playground, leaving behind the worries of school work for a quick period of unstructured play.
Unfortunately, for many adults, it is nothing more than a happy but distant memory. Yet is it feasible, and also advantageous, to recapture the pleasure of playing? Experts like Dr. Stuart Brown, founder of the National Institute for Play, respond with a resounding YES. As he describes, “Play is something done for its own sake. It’s voluntary, it’s pleasurable, it offers a sense of engagement, it takes you out of time. And the act itself is more important than the outcome.”
The key benefits of play, regardless of a person’s age, include:
- To be connected: Particularly in our smartphone-driven world today, making time to engage with others in person is paramount to our social health – whether through sports, card clubs, weekly board game events, or just about any other shared pastimes and interests.
- To sharpen your mind: Even though the jury is still out on the effectiveness of memory games in lessening the chance of developing Alzheimer’s disease, there is certainly benefit to be gained in enhancing reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- To improve relationships: The everyday tension inherent in many of our relationships is eased once a feeling of playfulness is incorporated, making it possible for more powerful bonds and the ability to better conquer difficulties when they arise.
Squeezing time out from a busy schedule to just play can appear unlikely. But with some assistance from Heaven at Home Senior Care, a far more enjoyable lifestyle can quickly become a reality. We’re available for as much or as little assistance as needed, offering an array of services and elderly care tips for seniors, such as:
- Planning and preparing meals
- Grocery shopping, picking up prescription medications, and other errands
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Personal care assistance such as helping with bathing and dressing
- Transportation and accompaniment to doctor appointments and fun outings
- Companionship to take part in discussions, reminiscing, exercising, games, and enjoyable hobbies
- And much more
Acquire a healthy life balance by allowing us to help. Call our Cooke home health care team now at (866) 381-0500 or contact us online to learn more about how our home care services can make life easier for you and your family!