From morning to evening, each and every day in the life of someone with diabetes is overflowing with a number of necessary tasks to manage the disease. Between medications, insulin needles, blood sugar checks, exercise, and handling nutritional requirements, it’s easy for diabetics to feel overly stressed.
Heaven at Home Senior Care’s in-home professionals understand the challenges and struggles of diabetes care management and suggest the ideas below to help minimize stress and remain in ideal health:
- Keep in mind that nobody is perfect. Good diabetes care does not mean being perfect with care each and every day. Some days will always be better than others, and it is really important to be forgiving for any periodic glucose changes, and then learn from mistakes made along the way.
- Identify care obstacles. Barriers to diabetic care management can include:
- Needing additional information/education on how to best provide diabetes care
- Staying away from situations that could affect a care schedule
- Excuses to overcome regarding getting enough exercise
- Eating practices that might be driven more by feelings than hunger
- Depression or other emotional concerns
- Stay upbeat. Throughout everything, a positive mentality can go a long way. In place of thinking, “I will never be able to control my diabetes—I might as well plan on having health problems,” try thinking instead, “I didn’t pay enough attention to the size of my portions at dinnertime; that’s why my blood sugar is elevated. I am going to plan ahead and keep food portion sizes in line with my nutrition plan or cover with extra insulin if I consume more than I intended.”
- Accept assistance. Family members, friends, and coworkers often provide a great shoulder to lean on. Simply advise them what is beneficial and what to watch for. Home care is also a wonderful resource for diabetes care support and encouragement.
For further helpful tips on alleviating the stress of diabetes care management, call on Heaven at Home Senior Care at (940) 380-0500. Our fully trained and highly skilled senior care team is on hand to plan and prepare nutritious and appetizing meals, pick up medications, provide accompanied transportation to medical appointments, and much more. We’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year according to each person’s particular preferences and schedule. We look forward to helping make life easier and more enjoyable for you and the older adults you love with our home care in Frisco and the surrounding areas!