Dallas Area Seniors – Are You Taking These 5 Vitamins?
- By: heavenAdmin
- Diet and Nutrition
Fatigue, lack of energy, aches and pains…are these all a normal part of aging that we simply have to accept? Or could these symptoms be reduced or even alleviated altogether through the use of the right kinds and amounts of vitamins?
Although nothing takes the place of a well-balanced diet and plenty of exercise, for seniors whose nutrient requirements aren’t being met through diet, vitamin supplements can make a world of difference in overall wellbeing. But one glance at the rows and rows of alphabetically arranged bottles of vitamins, minerals, natural supplements, and self-proclaimed “miracle cures” can be bewildering. Exactly what should seniors be taking? Experts suggest the following for seniors:
- Multivitamins. A daily multivitamin specifically labeled as beneficial for those age 50+ is formulated to contain the right balance for most seniors.
- B12. Vitamin B12 is crucial for maintaining healthy neurological function and red blood cell development, and can be hard for seniors to absorb naturally through foods. B12 deficiencies can result in fatigue, weakness, anemia and more.
- Calcium. The jury is still out on how effective calcium supplements are for overall bone health, but research has shown it to reduce vertebrae fractures.
- D. Calcium can only be absorbed in conjunction with vitamin D, which also helps protect against heart attack, stroke, and other conditions. Vitamin D deficiencies are also linked to diabetes, arthritis, asthma, depression, and more.
- AREDS. This formulation of C, E, lutein, zinc and zeaxanthin has shown promising results in reducing the risk of cataracts and slowing the progression of AMD. An ophthalmologist should be consulted for a recommendation on which formula to choose.
Always check first with the physician, however, before taking any supplements, since taking too much of a particular supplement, or certain combinations of supplements with prescription medications can be dangerous.
For more tips on helping your senior loved ones to thrive and enjoy life to the fullest, call on Heaven at Home Senior Care of Denton, TX. Our senior in home caregivers are experts in helping older adults regain a sense of purpose and joy, through motivation to participate in exercise programs, hobbies, and fun outings and activities, by encouraging healthy eating habits through the preparation of healthy, delicious meals and by providing friendly companionship to make mealtimes more enjoyable. Contact us at 866-381-0500 to learn more!