With over 10,000 prescription medications available in the United States, it’s clear why so many seniors – around one in three – are taking at least five of them each day. And family caregivers recognize firsthand the challenges when trying to manage medications for seniors. The truth is, studies have shown that upwards of 55% of prescription medications are being taken incorrectly for a variety of reasons, and the repercussions can be extremely dangerous.
Lower the risk for errors with these medication management tips for seniors, from one of the top providers of home care in Dallas, Denton, and the surrounding areas – Heaven at Home Senior Care:
Educate yourself on each medication. If you’re not sure of the correct dose, management or side effects of a senior’s meds, consult the physician or pharmacist for the following types of details:
- The name of the medication (brand and generic)
- Why the medication is being suggested
- The length and duration for taking the medication
- The correct dosage and time of day to take the prescription
- Possible side effects and drug interactions, along with how the medication should be taken (i.e. on an empty stomach, with a full glass of water, etc.)
Also, be sure to ask the senior’s doctor to periodically perform a medication review to confirm which medications are still needed and which ones could perhaps be stopped.
Develop an updated list of all medicines. Creating a thorough list of all prescribed drugs, OTC medicines, and vitamins and supplements that the older adult is taking can be a great help at doctors’ appointments. The list should cover all of the information above, plus:
- The shape, size and color of the medication (include a picture of the drug if possible)
- The prescribing doctor’s name and number
- The date each medication was first taken, and whether or not it should be refilled and taken continually
- The date the list was last updated
Offering top-rated senior care in Denton, TX and the surrounding areas, Heaven at Home Senior Care can help put into practice these medication management tips for older adults, as well as provide a full range of customized home care services to boost health and quality of life. For more information and to find out if our services are available in your area, contact us online or at (940) 380-0500 for our Denton office or (972) 245-1515 for our Dallas office.