“I am looking forward to moving to an assisted living facility.” This isn’t a phrase you hear often from seniors. That’s because most seniors would prefer to age comfortably at home. However, there are numerous misunderstandings about who pays for care in your own home. Will home care be covered by Medicare or Medicaid or insurance? As CPA Jerry Lewis notes, home care clients typically pay with private funds. Even though Medicare does cover home health care on a limited basis, if it’s considered to be medically necessary, it does not cover homemaker services – and, most health insurance and Medicare supplemental plans don’t cover any kind of in-home care.
According to Rod Perkins, VP of insurance regulation of the American Council of Life Insurers, “Baby boomers have seen their parents have long-term care needs and weren’t prepared. And it’s not just an old-age product. You could need in-home care as a result of an accident.”
If you and your elderly loved ones are not in a position to pay out of pocket for home care, however, be assured that there are some other avenues to explore; for example:
- Veterans’ support (click here to check eligibility requirements)
- PACE (Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly)
- Long-term care insurance policies that particularly include in-home care services
- Reverse mortgages
- Organizations tailored to help with specific needs, such as the Alzheimer’s Association, the ALS Association, and Easter Seals, may provide you with respite care vouchers
- Community support, such as through religious organizations, the local Area on Aging, the United Way and area senior centers
The Benefits.gov site is also a great resource to determine which federal benefits you may qualify for. Hoping to avoid assisted living and help senior loved ones stay safe and happy at home? Contact Heaven at Home Senior Care for further resources and guidance on making sure no stone is left unturned with regards to providing Denton home care services for your precious older loved ones. We’re skilled at exploring every possible avenue to help families discover any benefits for which their senior loved ones qualify. Allow us to help make professional in-home care services a reality for you and your loved one!