Are you providing care for your elderly parent or family member? You are not alone, with as many as 40 million Americans providing care for an elderly parent. Many times it can be difficult to manage work, caregiving, and home. There are 70% of Americans providing care for their elderly parents that need to make adjustments in the workplace, causing issues for both the employee and the employer. Heaven at Home Senior Care knows how difficult it can be to juggle the work and caregiver balance. If you work with a company that does not maintain an eldercare-friendly environment, we have some suggestions on how to get the ball rolling to make them more accepting:
- Brush up on FMLA. The Family Medical Leave Act, although not applicable to all employers, provides for unpaid leaves of absence for family issues; and in some cases, the time off can be taken intermittently.
- Check on local statutes. Some cities (Atlanta, Tampa, and Milwaukee, to name a few) have implemented “family responsibility discrimination” laws.
- Join forces with coworkers. Pull together others in your organization who struggle with similar issues, and as a group, present a request for implementation of a flextime policy.
- Try an honest approach. Discuss the situation you’re facing openly and honestly with your manager to see if a compromise can be reached to allow for some flexibility in your work schedule.
- Look into the EAP. Your company’s EAP (Employee Assistance Program) may offer eldercare and other relevant resources.
The need for companies to offer flexible work schedules and eldercare programs to retain or attract top quality employees is growing as the 77 million Baby Boomers age. If you find yourself in need of the support of in-home caregivers, Heaven at Home Senior Care is here to help you maintain a healthy work and home balance. We offer a wide range of home care services in the Dallas Metroplex area and our quality caregivers are here to help your loved one age at home. Contact us today to learn more!