“There just aren’t enough hours in the day!” Has this been your mantra lately? Those in the sandwich generation in particular – who simultaneously care for children and aging parents – can easily become overwhelmed with being pulled in so many different directions, resulting in caregiver burnout. We invite you to set aside just a few precious moments to implement these sanity-saving tips:
- Use strategy when planning tasks. Develop a plan for ongoing chores to enhance efficiency. For instance, map out all of your stops in the most efficient manner, and combine tasks such as laundry and buying groceries for your senior loved one with your own.
- Keep the car stocked. Put a box of helpful items in the trunk to have accessible at all times: comfortable walking footwear, a jacket or sweater, toiletries, snacks with a long shelf life – all that you feel might be convenient for the particular predicaments you may find yourself in on any given day.
- If you can avoid them, skip the urgent care facilities. Urgent care visits may lead to hours of lost time spent in the waiting room. Try getting in touch with the physician instead to obtain a same-day appointment, in particular mid-morning, when the day’s cancelled appointments have yet to be filled.
- Keep paperwork organized. In the event of an emergency, it is essential to have copies of all important paperwork together. Keeping the documents in a brightly colored folder that is easily identifiable may be helpful. The documents in the folder should include: power of attorney, list of medications and emergency contacts, advance directive, health care proxy and medical insurance information.
- Stay positive. Enjoying a few peaceful moments first thing in the morning to reflect on the important things you’re grateful for may go a long way towards relieving stress and setting the stage for a more productive and positive day. Repeat as time permits during the course of the day, particularly when emotions are running high.
The most effective tip we can suggest is partnering with a professional in-home care agency, like Heaven at Home Senior Care of Denton, TX. We can provide respite care, including running errands, shopping and meal preparation, light housework, and more, along with hands-on personal care and companionship, allowing you to get the rest and rejuvenation you need and avoid caregiver burnout. Contact us at (866) 381-0500 and discover a life with less stress for both yourself and your older loved one!